Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
At Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skill set you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Senior Software Engineer (Machine Learning), you will help build solutions that will be used by thousands of customers. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned software engineer who appreciates real, technical challenges and being enthusiastic about machine learning. You will be an integral part of the data science team, turning our machine learning models from idea to production.
What you'll do
- Solve new and challenging problems around eCommerce payments, credit issuance and settlement, fraud detection, SaaS integration, and model serving
- Own technology solutions, including architecture, design, and development of back-end microservices and REST APIs for our machine learning applications using Python
- Promote and support architectural and design best practices to team members
- Evaluate and build new tools and techniques to facilitate effective development practices
- Work cross-functionally with teams like data science, analytics, finance, product management, marketing & sales, and design
- Build and enhance systems with automated build, deploy, instrumentation, and monitoring
- Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
- Troubleshoot cross-system issues using log data, metrics, and various analysis tools
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Anticipate and act upon issues that arise, providing alternative approaches and solutions
- Set the standard for highest quality of work
What we look for
- 6+ years of industry experience and expert knowledge using Python
- Deep understanding and experience of various technologies, frameworks, and libraries within the Python ecosystem
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment, including bash and command-line tools
- Experience with Git version-control system
- Deep understanding of database methodology and database systems and strong experience with relational and non relational databases
- Familiarity with RDBMS design for both OLTP and Data Warehousing is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of web service technologies and REST best-practices
- Understanding of scalability challenges and performance of server-side code
- Ability to design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient, and efficient systems
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment, and event-driven architecture
- Solid grounding in common machine learning model families, feature engineering, feature selection, and other practical issues, such as overfitting or model degradation
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken is a must for communicating with a global team
- Proven track record of shipping software in a delivery-focused environment
- Experience contributing to open-source projects or similar is a plus
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services
- You have a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- You are proactive and adaptable
- You like to tackle problems and to fill in the gaps where there are unknowns
What We Offer
- Medical insurance for the whole family including dental coverage
- €340 monthly expenses for gym, lifestyle, etc.
- 23 standard PTO (Paid Time Off) days, plus up to 2 days from the benefits (to be used on special dates)
- An apple laptop and whatever you need to do your job comfortably and productively.
- We do performance and compensation reviews, and we will try to help you become your better self, be it via mentoring, training, feedback or the possibility to dab on fields where you are not yet an expert.
- We have a very flexible approach to working hours. You can stop to go to the gym, get your little ones to or from school, meditate or do whatever you need or want. There is a need for a certain amount of overlap with Pacific Coast working hours needed for meetings and collaboration that does not fit into asynchronous communications, however, we try to prioritize those, and your main collaborators are based in Spain.
Location - 100& Remote Spain
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! We are currently building operations in Spain. All of our roles are 100% remote.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
San Francisco, CA, USA
1,000 - 5,000
At Affirm, we’re using today’s technology to bring significant disruptive innovation to the financial industry. We focus on improving the lives of consumers by delivering simple, honest and transparent financial products.