FilledThis offer is not available anymore
Senior Front-end Engineer in Barcelona
Want to make an impact? Join our pack and come work (and play!) with us.
We believe everyone deserves the unconditional love of a pet—and at Rover, our mission is to make it easier to experience that love. Founded in 2011, the Rover app and website connect dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, and Europe. We empower our community of trusted pet sitters and dog walkers to run their own pet care businesses on Rover with the tools and security of a global company to back them.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, we work closely with our teams in Barcelona, London, San Antonio, Spokane and remote locations. We’ve got a reputation for being a great place to work, having been named among the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Seattle Business Magazine and Washington’s Best Workplaces in the Puget Sound Business Journal. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
At Rover, our furry coworkers are just as important as our human ones—and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Along with making the joys of pet parenthood more accessible, we’re committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community of pet people—and that starts with our employees.
Who we are
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalised care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy daycare. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents.
We’re the European hub of a VC-backed Tech startup headquartered in Seattle. You will join an amazing and ambitious global team. In Europe, we’re an international team with about 27 nationalities represented in Barcelona. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World’s Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we’re going to say it anyway) we love animals, and we wouldn’t dream of going to work without them by our side.
Who we're looking for
- You enjoy building customer-facing products that improve people's and pet's lives!
- You enjoy seeing your own efforts having an outsized impact on the business and our customers.
- You are passionate about API design, observability, and building platforms.
- You are eager to learn and improve your craft as a software engineer.
- You are excited to learn new technologies and contribute across the stack.
- You can take loose requirements, work with others to figure out what needs to be done, and drive a project forward.
- You enjoy being part of a great community of pet lovers.
- 5+ years experience as a professional software developer.
- 3+ years of experience in React.
- Comfort working across the entire system from frontend to backend.
- Passionate about automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices.
- Experience coaching more junior developers.
- Experience with large distributed systems with an emphasis on observability, instrumentation, monitoring.
- Effective communication on design/engineering trade-offs to product managers/designers.
- Intuition for when to call it "good enough", and when to put in the extra time to polish.
- You get along well with others and thrive in a collaborative environment and your values align with Rover's Core Values.
- Familiarity with Docker.
- Experience with Django/Python.
- Familiar with Continuous Integration/Deployment tools.
- The position is in-house at our Barcelona office. All applicants must have the right to live and work in Spain. We can help with relocation assistance though!
- You’re a team player and work well with other teams in the company.
- You are meticulous about design and user experience because you want to deliver the best service to your customers.
- You are used to working with different agile methodologies such as Scrum/Kanban/XP.
- You love new challenges and are eager to solve new problems.
- Good level of written and spoken English (our Engineering Team is in Barcelona but we work in English).
- You love pets!
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, supportable solutions.
- We are curious and passionate about learning, providing the right environment and resources for professional growth.
- We are committed to building, fostering and maintaining a culture of inclusivity and diversity both on our teams and in our products.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing and deployment.
- We are serious about the quality of our production operation, and have thorough system, application and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We are passionate about data driven decision-making.
- Our teams are integrated teams with developers, product managers, designers and data scientists working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits Of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Permanent contract
- Stock options
- Private health insurance
- Gym allowance
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Monetary help for adopting a dog plus yearly credit to use on our platform
- Flexible work hours, sometimes you’ll need to be in at certain times, but on the whole, we’re pretty flexible when it comes to managing workload and time
- Grab snacks, fresh fruit, in our kitchen to keep yourself going
- Free Tuesday breakfast and every other Thursday free company lunch
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, game nights, and more
Due to COVID-19, Rover Employees are not required to be in office until Q1 2023 at the earliest.
Please submit your CV in English.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We are committed to work with you to look for reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Seattle, WA, USA