We are the world´s largest language learning community with over 100m users from 190 countries, growing at up to 30,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers. Our mission is to break down language barriers across the globe
As a Front-end Engineer you’ll be responsible for all the web products at Busuu, including the codebase, UI and UX of multiple projects.
What does a Front-end Engineer do at Busuu?
You’ll be working in the Web Squad with Engineers from different backgrounds, and will have the opportunity to contribute, maintain and improve the existing codebase. We’ve got many projects planned for 2021 and beyond and we’re looking for people who have experience with Single Page Applications, working on real time interactions and creating friendly user experiences.
You’ll have the full support of the rest of the Web Squad, allowing you to lead projects with an experienced team of Front-end and Full-Stack engineers to guide and learn from.
Skills and qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of React.
- Experience writing unit tests.
- Experience with TypeScript (optional, but desire to learn is required!).
- Experience in building complex layouts and working with responsive user interfaces.
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations.
- Desire to learn and share.
Nice to have (optional for the role):
- Next.js and Node.js
Not ticking every box or think you’ve got that unique set of skills we haven’t realised we need? Get in touch anyway; we’re always looking to add great people! There are lots of indications that some people only apply to roles when they meet all the qualifications for a role, however we’d encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet all the criteria! We don’t believe that ticking off a list of skills is the only thing that makes a great candidate. You can read more about how we're building a more diverse team on our tech blog.
Have a read through our tech blog to learn more about what we're up to! https://tech.busuu.com
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Front-end Engineering is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Technical interview - 1h30 First call with the engineering team
- Coding interview - 2h Second technical call with the engineering team
- Culture fit interview - 1h hour call with the Engineering Manager
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Busuu. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.