We’re a fast growing startup that has already raised close to $8 million in investment from leading venture capital firms, and have been named by Bloomberg as one of the 50 most promising startups in the world to look out for. Our goal is to revolutionise the world of Location Intelligence and the way businesses think about, and act upon location intelligence data.
At Geoblink we use the latest technologies to find solutions to real world problems businesses face when trying to expand or increase efficiency. We leverage GIS technologies and Big Data to create a beautiful map-based user interface that not only provides lots of awesome statistics but also a great user experience.
We are proud of the environment of collaboration and diversity we have built and continue to foster, with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact on the business.
About Geoblink Tech
Our systems are built using an SOA approach that allows us to perform multiple deployments per day. We <3 monitoring, pull requests, iteration, continuous deployment and automated testing. The trunk of our stack is Python, Node.js, Vue.js, PostgreSQL and Spark but our architecture is language-agnostic. We move fast but put a lot of thought into the design of our architecture so that it’s simple and scalable. We write clean, modular code to produce great software that solves the needs of our clients.
Our Tech&Data culture is based on the high standards we try to achieve in everything we build and the personal development of our team. We foster an inclusive atmosphere of non-ego and respect where ideas are shared and feedback is used to promote quality and innovation. Some initiatives we have in place are hackathons twice a year, bi-weekly Tech&Data talks, personal development budget for books, training and conferences and time for side projects every other Friday.
You can visit our Tech blog to learn more about the projects and technologies at Geoblink.
About the DataLab team
Data is at the heart of all the technical challenges at Geoblink. As a Data Scientist at Geoblink you will be part of a team called Datalab, responsible for answering business questions vital to our clients, based on data. Geoblink relies on a large amount of spatial datasets to model urban behaviour, which can be used to make decisions such as where are my competitors? which is the best location for a new site? which features are driving my sales? Is my point of sale under/overperforming with respect to its potential?
Our dataset streams come from both internal data (coming directly from our customers for their own use) and external data (retrieved, cleaned and prepared internally at Geoblink from over 60 sources), which are used to deliver analyses and insights allowing our customers to understand their current and past business situation (descriptive analytics), providing them with models and tools to be able to predict the impact and effects of potential business actions and decisions (predictive analytics) and, at a higher level, recommend them which of those actions and decisions should be taken to maximize their final revenue (prescriptive analytics). To do so we rely heavily on Python, and more precisely, on three different types of technology: data management and analysis tools (e.g. Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Plotnine, Jupyter…), machine learning frameworks (e.g. scikit-learn, LIME…) and software development oriented libraries (e.g. Flask, Pytest..)
This internship is suitable for you if:
- You are a final year students or graduates with a degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar
- You have some experience with SQL queries. You understand the different types of joins and you know when to choose the correct one. And you would like to gain more experience to build the most efficient queries, working with CTE, window functions or more complex functionalities.
- You have some experience with Python. You are able to use and write functions, and you want to learn more about classes and good patterns in python.
- You have some experience analysing data with Python. You have used libraries like Pandas, so you know how to import a dataset, and perform basic manipulation and visualization, and you would like to go deeper and develop full data projects for real clients.
- You have a good understanding of Statistics, including basic knowledge of probability theory, or understanding of how most common machine learning techniques work: such as decision trees or clustering algorithms.
- You have used Linux systems before and you won’t struggle playing through a command line.
If you know about any of the following, it would be a huge plus:
- Web scraping
- Scikit-learn or other libraries for data analysis
- Git or other version control system
What you can expect from Internship
During this 6 month internship, you will be part of a team called Datalab, responsible for answering business questions vital to our clients, based on data. Geoblink relies on a large amount of spatial datasets to model urban behaviour, which can be used to make decisions such as where are located my main competitors? Which is the profile of my target audience? which is the best location for a new site?
Some of your duties as intern would be:
- Enrichment of our database of points of interest and points of sales: master techniques of web scraping, manage exclusive providers of spatial data.
- Create ad-hoc solutions for our clients to take the most of Geoblink platform: creating/loading specific data, map layers or indicators for them.
- Analysis of the most extensive and complete spatial database to understand the retail ecosystem and consumer's behaviour patterns.
- To be curious, eager to learn not only from your team but from everybody in the company, to become the best professional you can be.
Why work for Geoblink?
We operate a “zero-policy” which means there are no restrictions on vacation days, office hours, working from home days, etc. We believe everyone here is a “mini-CEO”, and should have the opportunity to make their own decisions about their work schedule.
Everyone at Geoblink is passionate about their job, whether it be growing business ROI or building complex data systems. People join us not just for the flexibility that we offer but because we have worked hard to foster a collaborative environment filled with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact in the business and collaborate with smart peers. We also offer the following:
- Plenty of training initiatives to help your career progression
- Annual personal budget for you to spend on developing yourself (online courses, conferences, training, etc)
- Flexible remuneration: restaurant tickets, transport tickets, private healthcare and childcare
- Start-up culture with fun initiatives and company events for all to enjoy
- Company shares after 1 year of employment
- No restrictions on vacation days, office hours, working from home days, etc. You manage your own work schedule responsibly.
- Hybrid WFH Work Model: you choose where to work, whether at home or in the office.
Geoblink is passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees.
Everyone is welcome and we don’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or beliefs, gender or gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let our team know.