Lingokids' mission is to help 100 million families around the world raise amazing children through Playlearning™. To help us on this mission we’re looking for an exceptional Data Engineer.
At Lingokids, we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives, and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain, but the position is open to anyone working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the job:
The Data Engineering team is in charge of the Data Platform, which supports the Analytics needs and data-driven projects of the company. It is built around modern ELT pipelines deployed on AWS and uses Python, Spark, dbt, Redshift, and a wide range of AWS services.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering Squad, where you will support, improve and extend our Data Platform. Your work will empower our Analysts and Data Scientists, enable data-driven Product features, and support the data-centered culture at Lingokids.
More specifically, based on your experience, you will:
- Design, build and support modern and scalable data pipelines using 3rd party platforms or internal solutions.
- Collaborate with data scientists, other engineers, and stakeholders to understand what data is required and how best to make it available in our Data Platform.
- Support the daily work of our Data Scientists by ensuring they have easy access to data and tools (development environment, notebook instances, etc.).
- Write and maintain code to orchestrate our ELT workflows.
- Improve the design and data feeding of our Data Lake.
- Help and train Data Scientists to optimize SQL queries for performance.
- Provide data and infrastructure for building and deploying ML models to production.
- Use best practices around CI/CD, automation, testing, and monitoring of analytics pipelines (inspired by DataOps).
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to succeed in any endeavor.
Ideally, it would help if you had some or all of the following:
- Be interested in building a platform that enables our Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
- Be fluent in one or more high-level programming languages (Python, Ruby, Java, Scala, or similar).
- Be comfortable with analytical SQL.
- Be familiar with software development best practices and their applications to Analytics (version control, testing, CI/CD, automation).
- Have experience building modern ETL pipelines, possibly at a large scale.
- Have experience working with a modern data warehouse (Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, or similar).
- Have a self-driven approach to learning new technologies and moving projects forward.
We also consider these as nice to have:
- Experience working with Data Scientists and Analysts.
- Experience in data quality and governance.
- Experience in the BigData ecosystem (Hadoop, Spark, PrestoDB, etc.).
- Familiarity with infrastructure and automation tools (Terraform, Ansible, or similar).
English is a must. We are a multicultural team, and we are providing a service in English. And although we don't care about certificates, we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company. We are firm believers that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
Life at Lingokids
- Base Compensation Range: (Mid Data Engineer) €45-60k
- Ideal starting date: September 12th or 19th
🏡 Unlimited remote working: you can choose to work from home indefinitely or attend our Madrid headquarters whenever you feel like it. This position is open to anyone within +/- 2 hours of the CET timezone.
⚖️ Flexible hours and work-life balance: we care about the results you bring to the team. 9 to 6 and constant commuting is not for us either.
📈 Stock options: joining Lingokids means you can choose to own part of the company.
🌍 Visa sponsorship: if you need a visa to work in the EU, Lingokids will assist you during the visa process, costs included.
📚 Professional growth: up to €2.000 per year for conferences, books, and training.
💬 Language lessons: language learning is what we’re all about! We’ll cover language classes for you to learn Spanish, English or Portuguese.
🩺 Health care: we have optional health insurance as flexible retribution and 4 online therapy sessions for free to help your self-awareness and wellbeing.
💳 Flexible compensation: you'll be able to include your monthly expenses in meals and transportations into your payroll.
🍲 Meal allowances: every month, you will receive a 60€ voucher for you to spend on the restaurants and food delivery services you like the most.
🖥 Home office setup: you'll have a 400€ voucher to set up your home office and a 35€ monthly allowance for remote expenses.
🙌 Feedback culture: feedback is the breakfast of champions, and we take it seriously! We have a real-time and honest feedback culture, and a formal 360º assessment every month.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team!