Make Music better through tech and innovation
That thing we do
We’re the Operating System for the Music Industry – a platform that pumps up the jam of every play.
We connect all players of the industry to amplify the value of music. Driven by machine learning and copyright expertise, our system pumps neutral data and authoritative knowledge to everyone along the chain. For those who make or use music, we allow them to plug in to our O.S. to ease operations, increase earnings, and get in sync with everyone else.
Who the FAQ are BMAT
BMAT started in 2005 when a group of engineers with a passion for music decided to spin-off from an audio research lab in Barcelona. We’re now over 160 people, spread across Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, London, Paris, Nairobi, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Singapore, Tokyo, Manila, Bangkok and Lagos.
We’re a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-traveled, coming from all parts of the world. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for innovative technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination.
Join us from wherever you are on our mission to help make music live forever.
We say there’s a BMAT touch. We believe it has to do with being passionate, obsessive, nice, generous, honest, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, intrepid, crazy, extraordinary, creative, agile, human, friendly, smart, witty, talented, naive, optimistic, surprising, sensual, and nerdy, but not very hipster (unfortunately). Our way of being is always sprinkled with transparency, perseverance, flexibility, open-mindedness and trustworthiness.
In our Content team, we are responsible for integrating content provided by customers, major record labels and digital music distributors into music fingerprint and metadata databases for BMAT’s VERICAST Airplay Monitoring Service.
We are also in charge of making music assets available to a different number of applications and services to let other teams work with them in a different series of projects.
To do so, we are continuously developing ETL solutions and QA tools for content integration, also developing and maintaining the infrastructure to extract different types of music fingerprints from thousands of audio files continuously.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
We are looking for a resourceful, action-driven and savvy data engineer to help us with the evolution, maintenance and development that a system of this magnitude requires. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams.
You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of services and data initiatives.
As part of the engineering team, you will work side by side with the operations team in order to offer the best user experience to our clients and develop creative solutions to satisfy their business needs and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
The objective of the Content team is to ingest audio, video and metadata content coming from multiple different sources.
- Maintain and enhance a network of 1k+ content feeds from all around the world.
- Design, build and deploy ingestion pipelines.
- Develop and enhance new metadata parsers for different music industry metadata standards.
- Communication with providers, customers and other tech/non-tech teams of the company.
All About You
- +2 years of experience in a similar position.
- Strong knowledge of Python.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and MongoDB.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Basic knowledge of Docker.
- Linux and Git experience.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- You have an instinct for listening, asking, understanding and communicating.
- You get the most out of your time when working in a team.
- You think uncertainty creates opportunity rather than stress.
- DRY principles are important to you.
- You have experience with Python web development frameworks: Django/Flask.
- You have used AWS and know some of its core components.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools like Airflow.
- Experience with software design lifecycle and best practices (code reviews, testing).
- You are comfortable handling complex structured data formats (e.g. XML, JSON) and can validate the file based on its schema (e.g. XSD).
- Availability to come to the Barcelona office.
- English: fully proficient or fluent.
- Spanish/Catalan a plus.
You can enjoy
- Full-time job.
- Flexible working location and remote working.
- Flexibility on working hours.
- Flat hierarchy.
- Free English and Spanish classes.
- Wide range of online and onsite courses.
- Possibility to choose your hardware and tools.
- Becoming part of a diverse and multicultural team based in Barcelona obsessed with bettering the music industry
Diverse perspectives drive innovation, and innovation is kind of our thing. Our open-minded and flexible culture organically fosters this diversity. We've learnt that we thrive on learning from each other, so we don't just welcome but actively hire a range of open-minded people from all walks of life. Our team is made up of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, orientations, abilities, musical tastes, dress sense and time-zones - but we all have one common goal: Making the music world a better place. With equal opportunities for everyone, BMAT is a pretty nice place to work.
50 - 200
We're a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-travelled, coming from all parts of the world. We like coffee, tea, chai and mate all the same. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination.