A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Senior Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on. Whether it's collaborating with our outstanding design and product teams or helping our data science group, you'll work on bleeding-edge to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of members.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Build innovative consumer experiences, setting standards for code and performance
- Create delightful user experiences with modern front-end frameworks like React
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
An ideal candidate has:
- A passion for building engaging user experiences
- User centred and product focused mindset
- Experience or is willing to learn distributed system development in Scala
- Experience or is willing to learn frontend frameworks such as React using TypeScript.
- Thrived in mobile product development on iOS using Swift or Android using Kotlin.
- Enjoys building creative product focused solutions that will impact internal and external users.
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A keen eye to continuously look for improvements in existing systems/product.
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- A desire to help our team continuously improve
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- React with Typescript for everything web
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- GKE (K8) , terraform
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
Perks of working with us :
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Very generous parental leave
- Wellness benefit
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances
- Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!