We’re looking for a leader to help build and guide a high impact, high leverage, and high visibility team that supports the productivity of Stripe’s engineers. The team creates and supports cross-cutting infrastructural services and tools used by Stripe engineers every day.
We work with a code base of several million lines of code (and counting), used by hundreds of engineers across the globe, who initiate dozens of build jobs per minute. What we do is key to allowing Stripe engineers working in our main business logic layer to have the most productive time of their careers while building and running the features that Stripe and its customers need in order to thrive.
Some of the key responsibilities of this role may include:
- Owning the end-to-end experience of how our users engage with CI. This includes working with our users to understand pain points, and deliver incremental, or step-change improvements to their day-to-day workflows across multiple languages, with a higher focus on Java and Ruby.
- Supporting efficient inter-service testing to support teams developing new services, or migrating existing services, to Stripe’s modern service oriented architecture
- Efficiently managing a fleet of 1,000s of CI workers, balancing the competing priorities of minimising user-facing queuing while also minimising cost.
- Developing & maintaining state-of-the-art developer tooling and increasing tooling reliability.
- Work with other Stripe leaders to design and lead developer productivity best practice
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Help engineers advance in their careers and develop new skills
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
- Work with your users to ensure the capabilities they need to safely, and reliably, deploy to production are available.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Hands-on experience building tools that are used daily by other developers (e.g. CI, build support, devboxes)
- A passion for supporting developer productivity
- Successfully recruited and built great teams
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Clear and persuasive writing and in-person communication
It would be great if:
- You have managed teams that designed and operated critical infrastructure, particularly with a broad remit across core capabilities, builds, and quality
- You are empathetic to customer needs but visionary enough to not just deliver a faster horse
- You are comfortable planning in quarters, and can set a vision for several years
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, to provide a wonderful user experience for key developer workflows
- You are comfortable working with geographically distributed teams
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
We look forward to hearing from you
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out – and set you apart – especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.