We’re a fast growing startup that has already raised close to $8 million in investment from leading venture capital firms, and have been named by Bloomberg as one of the 50 most promising startups in the world to look out for. Our goal is to revolutionise the world of Location Intelligence and the way businesses think about, and act upon location intelligence data.
At Geoblink we use the latest technologies to find solutions to real world problems businesses face when trying to expand or increase efficiency. We leverage GIS technologies and Big Data to create a beautiful map-based user interface that not only provides lots of awesome statistics but also a great user experience.
We are proud of the environment of collaboration and diversity we have built and continue to foster, with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact on the business.
About Geoblink Tech
Our systems are built using an SOA approach that allows us to perform multiple deployments per day. We <3 monitoring, pull requests, iteration, continuous deployment and automated testing. The trunk of our stack is Python, Scala, Spark, Node.js, Vue.js, PostgreSQL and Google BigQuery but our architecture is language-agnostic. We move fast but put a lot of thought into the design of our architecture so that it’s simple and scalable. We write clean, modular code to produce great software that solves the needs of our clients.
Our Tech & Data culture is based on the high standards we try to achieve in everything we build and the personal development of our team. We foster an inclusive atmosphere of non-ego and respect where ideas are shared and feedback is used to promote quality and innovation. Some initiatives we have in place are hackathons, bi-weekly Tech&Data talks, personal development budget for books, training and conferences and time for side projects when possible.
You can visit our Tech blog to learn more about the projects and technologies at Geoblink.
About Data Foundations team
Data is at the heart of all the technical challenges at Geoblink. As a Data Scientist at Geoblink you will be part of a team called Data Foundations, responsible for designing, managing and developing all the data initiatives that reach our final product at Geoblink. This stuff can be splitted in two big groups: creating data pipelines and developing data driven features for our app.
In terms of data, our data sources come mainly from three types of sources: public data (coming from official institutions, open data portals, etc.), private data (coming from partnerships established with data providers) and client data (coming directly from our customers including business internals, metrics...). We put a lot of focus on cleaning, transforming and preparing this data to be able to homogenize it and make it ready to be used in a homogenous and seamless way by our product and other data related teams. In terms of data driven features, we are responsible for the definition and development of functions and services that are used directly by our app to provide the customer with insights, analysis and transformed data allowing them to take data-driven decisions and actions.
To do so, we rely heavily on Python for the creation of data pipelines (Pandas, Dagster...) and services (FastAPI…), AWS S3 for the storage of all the raw data (sources, interim and processed data), Apache Airflow as our main orchestration platform and Google BigQuery as our final storage mixing both scalability, computational power and GIS capabilities.
Who we’re looking to recruit
We are looking for a Data Scientist passionate about finding, processing, transforming data and using it to solve real world problems in a productised way. You would be one of the main points of reference to, given a data source, figure out how to integrate it into our data offer and take advantage of it to create new data driven features.
Here are some other things we’re looking for:
- BS or MSc degree in Physics, Math, Computer Science or related degree or experience.
- Excellent coding skills in Python with high quality standards and deep knowledge of the main Python libraries and tools focused on data preparation and analysis (e.g. Numpy, Pandas, Jupyter, matplotlib, etc.).
- Excellent SQL skills and knowledge about relational databases and structured data modelling.
- Some knowledge and experience in advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.).
- Some knowledge in machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, SVM, Decision Trees, Random Forests, XGBoost, etc.
- You craft elegant, structured and tested code (e.g. PEP8, Pytest…) and are used to working with code repositories as part of a team (e.g. Git, peer code review…).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, you are able to explain, in English, complex stuff to non-technical business-driven people (mainly stakeholders in the company).
- Passionate about what you do. You care deeply about the things you build.
You will get extra kudos if you have:
- Experience working in a cloud based environment (AWS, GCP…)
- Experience working with distributed databases like Google BigQuery.
- Experience working with spatial data or GIS systems and/or mobility data.
- Experience building pipelines of data and/or with related tools (Airflow, Dagster...).
What you can expect from the job
At Geoblink, we embrace evolution and changes, so you need to be prepared to evolve and change with the rest of the company. With that in mind, these are the sort of things you can expect to be doing:
- Exploration and analysis of existing and new sources of data to create and validate relevant KPIs to be added to the product to solve new business problems.
- Participate in the definition, development and deployment of specific data driven features as services consumed by our app.
- Define and ensure we follow the best data quality standards (e.g monitoring, costs, alerts, etc.)
- Coach and mentor other team members to create a culture that fosters collaboration and personal growth.
- Work closely with the rest of the team including Product Owners, Data Scientists and Software Engineers to understand everyone needs and develop optimal solutions.
- Actively collaborate in the different initiatives the company works on regarding brand awareness (e.g. blog, meetups, talks, etc.)
- Learn as much as you can.About Geoblink
Why work for Geoblink?
We operate a “zero-policy” which means there are no restrictions on vacation days, office hours, working from home days, etc. We believe everyone here is a “mini-CEO”, and should have the opportunity to make their own decisions about their work schedule.
Everyone at Geoblink is passionate about their job, whether it be growing business ROI or building complex data systems. People join us not just for the flexibility that we offer but because we have worked hard to foster a collaborative environment filled with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact in the business and collaborate with smart peers. We also offer the following:
- Plenty of training initiatives to help your career progression
- Annual personal budget for you to spend on developing yourself (online courses, conferences, training, etc)
- Flexible remuneration: restaurant tickets, transport tickets, private healthcare and childcare
- Start-up culture with fun initiatives and company events for all to enjoy
- Company shares after 1 year of employment
- No restrictions on vacation days, office hours, working from home days, etc. You manage your own work schedule responsibly.
- Hybrid WFH Work Model: you choose where to work, whether at home or in the office.
Geoblink is passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees.
Everyone is welcome and we don’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or beliefs, gender or gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let our team know.